D-Day Quake2/D-Day Dev
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://ddayquake2.forumotion.com

ddaydev.com is gone Empty ddaydev.com is gone

Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 pm
This is Faf-1RB. Unfortunately, ddaydev.com went over bandwidth (I imagine due to spam/hacking or something shady) for the month of October and it got suspended by the host. I don't really have the inclination to re-host the site, so it's gone for good now. I just put this forum up so people know what happened, not really as a replacement, but people can use the forum if they wish. If anyone has any links for where d-day people hang out like on Discord it would be good to post them here.

Here's an archived link to the old site on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20230308150510/http://ddaydev.com/site/index.php
InFerNo

ddaydev.com is gone Empty Re: ddaydev.com is gone

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:13 pm
Hi Faf, sorry to hear the ddaydev host got suspended. Are the files (webpages and database) still available? There's still a small community around this game and we'd hate to see the website and forums disappear. I have a couple of servers and could host site and forum, if you still have them. This is also keeping the memory alive of a couple of people we have lost over the years, who have posted their goodbyes or had someone announced their passing, and with who we have spent time playing and working on this game. I could take everything completely out of your hands if you don't wish to spend time and money on the upkeep. I hope we are able to work something out.

I speak on behalf of Metalgod, Mac Sog 2, violator, GypsyLlama and many others. The community server we use to gather and communicate has over 200 members at this point.

Mugen, MetalGod and [MH]ChileanBunnySnipe like this post

Mac Sog 2

Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:32 pm
You have done so much for us all, Faf! Do what you can to save the forum and we will take it from here. Inferno is willing to take on the heavy lifting. Please stop by the DDay Discord once in a while!

InFerNo, Mugen and MetalGod like this post

MetalGod

Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:57 pm
The normal forum is MIA. Please advise or repair, Faf!

Respectfully
MetalGod
Admin
Admin
https://ddayquake2.forumotion.com

Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:13 pm
InFerNo wrote:Hi Faf, sorry to hear the ddaydev host got suspended. Are the files (webpages and database) still available? There's still a small community around this game and we'd hate to see the website and forums disappear. I have a couple of servers and could host site and forum, if you still have them. This is also keeping the memory alive of a couple of people we have lost over the years, who have posted their goodbyes or had someone announced their passing, and with who we have spent time playing and working on this game. I could take everything completely out of your hands if you don't wish to spend time and money on the upkeep. I hope we are able to work something out.

I speak on behalf of Metalgod, Mac Sog 2, violator, GypsyLlama and many others. The community server we use to gather and communicate has over 200 members at this point.

I appreciate the offer. The last backup of the forum I have is from November 2020. I can't log in to the webhost I was using, or maybe I could get a more recent backup. Really I have zero energy to deal with this right now or in the last 2 months. It's possible that might change at some point and I'll bring it back, or consider turning over the old backup. The forum was getting like 2 posts per month anyway. If it was more active or other people were working on it then I'd be more inclined to try to work on it for the community's sake, but it is a 25 year old game at this point so of course it's inactive. I don't want the site to be gone but it's on archive.org so it's not entirely gone, and there's still the discord and this forum.

InFerNo, Mac Sog 2 and J.Belgier like this post

Mac Sog 2

Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:59 pm
You would be surprised how many times I would go to the forum to read old topics just for laughs. We do need it back, even if we aren't posting there anymore. I never laughed more in my life as an adult than when I played this game. I, dare I say we, need to be able to reminisce. We lost the original forum, and we can't let history repeat itself.

InFerNo, J.Belgier and [MH]ChileanBunnySnipe like this post

J.Belgier

Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 am
I'm glad I had the chance to partake in this game, even if it already nearly died out ('10-'14-ish),
it was a masterpiece as far as Q2mods/WWIIFPS went. A happy New Year to anyone who stumbles upon this thread,
thanks for all the good moments boys, I'll never forget this game, never. <3

[MH]ChileanBunnySnipe likes this post

InFerNo

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:49 pm
Admin wrote:
I appreciate the offer.  The last backup of the forum I have is from November 2020. I can't log in to the webhost I was using, or maybe I could get a more recent backup.  Really I have zero energy to deal with this right now or in the last 2 months.  It's possible that might change at some point and I'll bring it back, or consider turning over the old backup.  The forum was getting like 2 posts per month anyway.  If it was more active or other people were working on it then I'd be more inclined to try to work on it for the community's sake,  but it is a 25 year old game at this point so of course it's inactive.  I don't want the site to be gone but it's on archive.org so it's not entirely gone, and there's still the discord and this forum.

Hi, Faf, if the forum allows for an export from the admin panel I could take over from there. I can scrape the website and rehost as well, in case you no longer have access to the host. All that's left then is changing (or exchanging) the DNS and I will take care of the rest.

Unfortunately, archive.org omits the forum since it takes a lot of storage to archive the generated HTML pages, and that's what we like to save in particular.

[MH]ChileanBunnySnipe

Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:59 am
I support Infernos endeavor to usurp Fafner as emperor of the forums. There is simply too much nostalgic value within the anals of these records to allow them to be washed away into the sands of time like crumbling sand castles at high tide.

In my home state, vehicles can legally be registered as “classic cars” once they have reached their 25th year of existence. I dare say it’s high time we slapped a specialty plate on this bad Larry and allow those of us who remain to go “Sunday driving” if and when we feel so inclined.

Amen

Mac Sog 2

Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:52 pm
Amen, brother.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum